Monday, February 9, 2009

Objects in Mirror are Closer Than They Appear

In December, after four years and some months of payments, I finally paid off my car, Blue. Words alone can’t express the happiness I feel when I do not write a check to GMAC on the 27th of every month. I remember thinking when I bought him, “Oh my Christ, I will be 30 when this car is finally paid off. (Wrong-o, but close.) Thirty seems like terribly long way away when you’re 25. Turns out it’s not.

I love Blue, and he and I have had many adventures together, which is why I choose to express my feelings for him and this momentous occasion not simply in words, but in song. Particularly to the tune of Schiller’s “Ode to Joy," sung with full heart and voice.


Ode to Blue

No car payments any longer!
Now I own you free and clear!
Paid in full and four months early
Goals in my twenty ninth year.
You’ve been with me since that April
Since I lived in Chicagoland
Then we moved out to the District
Just inside the Beltway’s band

Baltimore has seen us often
So too have Ohio’s plains
My big fear of owning you
Are all repairs that cause me pains
Working turn signals, oil changes
All are very important
But so is my savings account
Which is currently quite scant

North or south or east or west
Sun, rain, sleet and even snow
Stuff you full of all my luggage
There is no place we won’t go
Back and forth DC to Chi-Town
We’ve made trips so many times
Highways, byways, tollbooths, back roads
Crossing various state lines.

(Big finish, ff)
Who knows where the road will lead us
Here is where the future starts
But I know you’re mine forever
Or until you fall apart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Molly!

Anonymous said...

You should send that the car makers in Detroit...maybe you can perform it the next time they're called to testfy in Congress about their bail-out money.