Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pissed Off, Party of One, Please

After I was done having a hissy fit on Wisconsin Avenue (due to the American Valet re-heeling my shoes while at the same time de-patenting the patent leather aspect of my shoes and making them simply very shiny regular leather) in Tenleytown today, dropping F-bombs left, right, and center in front of Roebeck’s and some Green Peace volunteers, I realized that my shoes may be ruined, but I was still starving.
Thankfully, there is a Whole Foods just behind the Roebeck’s, so I made a beeline for their salad and hot bars. It is a gastronomic wonderland back there, I tell you. Expensive as hell, but frankly, at that point, I was still so hopping mad about my shoes that I didn’t even mind Whole Foods (or, as my sister Lizzy likes to call it – Whole Paycheck) prices.

And for the low, low price of $16 and some change, I had some pieces of General Tso’s chicken, a samosa of some sort, twice-cooked beef, a few of these other chicken things wrapped up like a dumpling of sorts, and a separate container of tomatoes and mini-mozzarellas, asparagus, and a lettuce wedge salad. Not whole servings of all of this, mind you, just tastes and bits and a spoonful or a dash.

It was the only thing that kept my lunch hour afloat. Unfortunately I had to walk back past the American Valet on my way to the metro, and it was all I could do to not fling my lovingly created lunch at their window and watch bleu cheese dressing slide down in thick globs.

No comments: